Friday, May 21, 2010

Why I Chose Wake: A Testimonial

WFU Business School Headshots 8-20-09 Perhaps it was the breakfast fed to prospective MBA-ers at a local restaurant, Midtown Café & Dessertery, where five-flavor pound cake, blueberry pancakes, and cheesecake brownies abound. Or, perchance, it was the four Ps of passion, purpose, performance and preparation … AND a sweet Wake Forest-colored planner given to everyone who was there. Maybe it was attending Derrick Boone’s Marketing class as a prospective student, where on that particular evening they were talking about a personal favorite of mine – the evolution of the vehicle, the Ford Taurus (my family has owned and cherished several).

And being a distance runner, something about gathering on Thursday mornings for a three-mile jaunt with other MBA students, faculty, and our Dean at “Dawn with the Dean” seemed just right to me.

Half-jokingly, I mention the above. Yet in all seriousness, these are the small details that enhanced and confirmed my decision that a Wake Forest MBA was for me. Having attended WFU as an undergrad, I was certain that I would receive both a challenging and amazing education – no matter the course, no matter the professor. I knew that I would be in a place where people are passionate about what they do, who truly enjoy getting to know each unique individual, and who love learning and sharing knowledge. There was also something about going back ‘home’ to Wake and, in another sense, starting something very new.

I am not a traditional MBA student; I come from education myself, having taught middle school students with learning and attention disorders for the past four years. I have also been a track and field and cross-country coach. I majored in English and minored in Journalism. I do enjoy running very long distances. And like many, it has taken me a while to figure out the path I want to start on, to ‘grow-up’ on.

When I decided to change my career path and landed on an MBA from Wake Forest, things simply fell into place. I felt welcome in the Wake Forest University Schools of Business. Above all, I felt supported in going after my dreams, encouraged to push myself further mentally, - and all along side amazing classmates, who I have learned so very much from. Maybe it is the Twix bars, gummy worms, yogurt-covered pretzels, sodas, coffee, teas, and cheeses and crackers that mysteriously appear at break that keep us all sugared up and caffeinated each week – but with all of these things and many more reasons, a Wake Forest MBA has proven to be a very rewarding and wonderful decision.

~ Molly Nunn, Evening MBA, Class of 2011

photo A sampling of Dean Steve Reinemund’s 2009-2010 Thursday morning runners.

No comments:

Post a Comment